[isabelle-dev] Towards Isabelle2023-RC2, RC3 and AFP release

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jul 26 15:51:32 CEST 2023

On 25/07/2023 15:11, Makarius wrote:
> Isabelle2023-RC2 is planned for Wednesday 26-Jul-2023. This is the last chance
> to sort out minor things for it, especially NEWS and CONTRIBUTORS.

It will take a few hours than anticipated: I am still waiting for some AFP
test that became necessary after revisiting a change that is a non-regression
wrt. Isabelle2022 (and thus strictly speaking not relevant for Isabelle2023),
but it has caused some confusion wrt. Isabelle2021-1:

changeset:   75840:f8c412a45af8
user:        wenzelm
date:        Sat Aug 13 14:29:59 2022 +0200
summary:     more accurate treatment of option "editor_output_state", e.g.
when changed via Isabelle/jEdit Plugin Options panel;

There might be something still coming about this today: I've spend 1-2 days
sorting things out.

In the meantime I had to eliminate erratic noise on the isabelle-dev repository:

changeset:   78468:33bc244eafdb
tag:         tip
user:        wenzelm
date:        Wed Jul 26 15:42:13 2023 +0200
files:       src/Tools/jEdit/src/output_dockable.scala
revert adhoc change ab9cc7cda0ec: lacks reasoning (and discussion);

changeset:   78467:ab9cc7cda0ec
user:        kleing
date:        Wed Jul 26 15:06:06 2023 +0200
files:       src/Tools/jEdit/src/output_dockable.scala
output panel: don't discard already filtered messages

I have no time to give a lecture on how Isabelle development has worked the
past decade(s).

When making a change, one always needs to provide proper reasoning (usually
based on the recorded history). And maybe also start a discussion with the
one(s) who is reposible for that part of the system.

ab9cc7cda0ec has no proof. Sorry.

> What is the schedule for the corresponding AFP release?

This question is still open.

We already have a tradition of delaying the Isabelle/AFP release 2-3 weeks
without any particular reasons.