[isabelle-dev] Towards the next release --- and release naming scheme

Christian Sternagel c.sternagel at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 22:26:21 CEST 2021

On Wed, Sep 29, 2021, 12:09 Martin Desharnais <martin.desharnais at posteo.de>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > In my view the current schema has the following weaknesses:
> > * No separator between »Isabelle« and year (an imitation of CaMlCaSe).
> > * Two numeric identifiers side by side.
> >
> > None of these is pressing enough to change the current schema, but if we
> > change the schema, they should be addressed.
> >
> > Personally I'd go with sth. like
> >
> >       Isabelle-2021-Dec
>
> Note that this suggestion, while very readable, cannot be correctly
> sorted by the lexicographical order used by many tools (e.g. ls, sort).
>
> I am not certain what the perceived problem with two numeric identifiers
> is. Something like Isabelle-2021-02 and Isabelle-2021-12 looks readable
> to me. This is well known from the Ubuntu naming scheme (e.g. Ubuntu
> 21.04, Ubuntu 21.10).

Apropos Ubuntu naming scheme: Most version numbers I am aware of use dots
as separator. Moreover, there is a difference between the version number
and the name of the thing. How about

  Isabelle 2021
  Isabelle 2021.01
  Isabelle 2021.02

(where the version is only the part after the space and maybe the first one
should be "Isabelle 2021.00")?

Just my 2 cents.

cheers

Chris