[isabelle-dev] Towards the next release --- and release naming scheme

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Sep 29 23:02:35 CEST 2021

On 29/09/2021 22:26, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> Apropos Ubuntu naming scheme: Most version numbers I am aware of use dots as
> separator. Moreover, there is a difference between the version number and the
> name of the thing. How about
>
>   Isabelle 2021
>   Isabelle 2021.01
>   Isabelle 2021.02

Traditionally the year belongs to the name, because the saying is "we release
a new system each time that is loosely based on the old one". So strictly
speaking, there is no version number.

But in recent years, I rarely used that narrative anymore, for two reasons:

  (1) Isabelle has become so huge and consolidated, that the changes for each
newly released system are relatively small.

  (2) The Lean Prover guys have somewhat abused this attitude, and released
quite incompatible new systems each time: 2 ~> 3, now 3 ~> 4 (it still remains
to be seen how Mathlib manages to jump over that gulf).