[isabelle-dev] Towards the next release --- and release naming scheme

Martin Desharnais martin.desharnais at posteo.de
Wed Sep 29 12:09:17 CEST 2021

Hi all,

> In my view the current schema has the following weaknesses:
> * No separator between »Isabelle« and year (an imitation of CaMlCaSe).
> * Two numeric identifiers side by side.
>
> None of these is pressing enough to change the current schema, but if we
> change the schema, they should be addressed.
>
> Personally I'd go with sth. like
>
> 	Isabelle-2021-Dec

Note that this suggestion, while very readable, cannot be correctly
sorted by the lexicographical order used by many tools (e.g. ls, sort).

I am not certain what the perceived problem with two numeric identifiers
is. Something like Isabelle-2021-02 and Isabelle-2021-12 looks readable
to me. This is well known from the Ubuntu naming scheme (e.g. Ubuntu
21.04, Ubuntu 21.10).

Regards,
Martin