[isabelle-dev] A proposal for the website

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Nov 2 23:20:25 CET 2020

On 02/11/2020 21:15, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
> There are two issues here:
>
> - Should we advertise the active zoolip chat? Of course we should, everything
> else is simply ineffective censorship.

I do need more research about what Zulip Chat really is. Right now I suspect
we can afford a link to it on the Isabelle website, but I will probably not
join that walled site.

> The isabelle wiki could be unlinked at the same time.

Great. It was never really active anyway.

> - Should we try other alternatives? That's up to whoever wants to try them. In
> the end the community will vote one way or the other, with their feet.

We do have some influence on the main and official Isabelle channels:
isabelle-users and isabelle-dev.

The research so far suggests that Discourse can indeed operate as successor of
Mailman.

As a start, I will try to make a read-only (searchable) archive of our mailing
lists with it, to be linked on the Isabelle website. Later on, we can figure
out if moving the actual mailing lists is feasible.

(I am curious to see if we can make moves that are not just gravitational
effects of huge black holes on the Internet. Freedom and independence has
become a scarce resource.)