[isabelle-dev] jEdit: Automatic popup menus on hovers

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Mar 18 13:29:38 CET 2013

On Sat, 9 Mar 2013, Lars Noschinski wrote:

> I'm currently using revision 4b5a5e26161d of Isabelle and after working
> with it for one day without stopping jEdit, I noticed a annoying
> behaviour of the popup menus which you get automatically by hovering
> over a command with a message:
>
> They pop up immediately, even if I don't stop over them. Afterwards,
> they don't vanish. So if I just want to move the cursor or click on
> something, these popups get in my way. If I want to do something around
> a failed proof step, I have to move my mouse very carefully (I got so
> bad, that I stopped using the mouse and went back to the keyboard).
>
> This behaviour only popped up after working with one session for a
> longer time and jEdit was having frequent hiccups then, so I guess this
> was due to memory pressure (max memory usage was near the limit of 1600m
> set for the JVM).

I've spent some days pondering various possibilities and reading sources
of Java/Swing libraries.  Not everything is clear, but there are various
possibilities of memory leaks and timing problems when popping up a new
window for each tooltip (in the sense of regular getToolTipText of Swing
components).

In Isabelle/14e6d761ba1c it is now done in a completely different way. So
lets see if this works better.  (According to past experience odd corner
cases will show up after some weeks or months using it.)