[isabelle-dev] jEdit: Automatic popup menus on hovers

Alexander Krauss krauss at in.tum.de
Mon Mar 18 20:26:46 CET 2013

On 03/18/2013 01:29 PM, Makarius wrote:
> I've spent some days pondering various possibilities and reading sources
> of Java/Swing libraries.  Not everything is clear, but there are various
> possibilities of memory leaks and timing problems when popping up a new
> window for each tooltip (in the sense of regular getToolTipText of Swing
> components).

Concerning actual memory leaks, I made the experience that these are
rather easy to track down on the JVM: Take a heap dump and analyze it
using a suitable tool such as Eclipse Memory Analyzer
(http://www.eclipse.org/mat/). The tool has an automated analysis which
can usually point out the main sources of memory consumption immediately.

Alex