[isabelle-dev] Isabelle release test website

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 24 16:41:13 CEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Jasmin Christian Blanchette wrote:

> Am 23.04.2012 um 17:22 schrieb Makarius:
>
>> Here is an update of the test website for warming up a bit more
>> http://www4.in.tum.de/~wenzelm/test/website/
>>
>> I've spent this cold and wet weekend to produce a monolitic Windows
>> application, which bundles both JDK and Cygwin 1.7.9, see the Download
>> page.  (Cygwin 1.7.9 is important here, because in the later version
>> from this year Poly/ML multithreading is a bit unstable.)
>
> I use Windows XP on VirtualBox. I downloaded the
> "Isabelle_23-Apr-2012.exe" file, moved it to my home directory. Then I
> started "Isabelle.exe" and waited over a minute but nothing happened.

I suppose here that the self-extracting Isabelle_23-Apr-2012.exe archive
did extract correctly, to something like 850 MB directory structure?

> Then I tried
>
>    ./bin/isabelle tty
>
> but got the message 'Unknown logic "HOL" -- no heap file found in:
> /cygdrive/c/.../heaps/polyml-undefined_x86-cygwin ...".

> Could it be due to Cygwin somehow? I don't know how to launch a terminal
> for Cygwin 1.7.9, so I'm still using the old terminal for whatever
> version of Cygwin I had on the machine already.

Your existing Cygwin is probably relatively old, such that the poly.exe
cannot be started and produce the required version; cf. the "undefined"
above.

Starting a terminal for the bundled Isabelle Cygwin now works, but I did
not update the 7zip SFX yet.  You can do it via
http://www4.in.tum.de/~wenzelm/test/website/dist/Isabelle_23-Apr-2012_bundle_x86-cygwin.tar.gz
by untarring that with the existing Cygwin.  Then the directory structure
can be access via Windows the standard way.

There are now Cygwin-Terminal and Cygwin-Setup batch files to be clicked
on, which hopefully do the job.

You might still have to do a manual incantation from cmd.exe:

   ...\contrib\cygwin-1.7.9\bin\ash -c /bin/rebaseall

This maintenance step requires all Cygwin stuff to be off.