[isabelle-dev] Mercurial conversion relaunch

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Sep 4 13:07:32 CEST 2008

On Wed, 3 Sep 2008, Brian Huffman wrote:

> I see that I can use Mercurial right now for pulling changes from the
> repository, but is there any support yet for pushing changes into the
> repository? Or must I continue to use CVS for all my commits until we
> all completely switch over?

Indeed http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle is pull-only.  In
principle we could open push-access (via the ssh protocol of Mercurial)
any time.  But pushing back would eventually cause conflicts with the
automatic conversion process that applies changes coming from the CVS, and
somebody would have to merge manually all the time.

In other words, the present Mercurial setup is essentially read-only while
the Isabelle CVS at Munich is still being changed.

> Maybe there is a script which makes it easier to submit patches exported
> from Mercurial to the CVS server?

I have seen some scripts glued together for that, but they do not look
very convincing.  Since the point of the conversion is to simplify our
life, it is better to give up legacy altogether.