[isabelle-dev] Mercurial conversion relaunch

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 12:52:20 CEST 2008

Changing revision control systems would be a major upheaval, so I hope
it will bring clear benefits. First, as a very obvious point, I assume
that there is a way of importing the entire revision history (not just
the current snapshot) into the new system. It would not be acceptable
if we had to use two different systems depending on the age of the
revision that we are interested in looking at.

My particular concern would be the state of user interface support for
Mercurial. I gather that I am not the only RSI sufferer among the
developers. One advantage of CVS is that it is well integrated with
editors. I use BBEdit and I can for example revert to an old version
of a file, display the differences between it and other versions
(earlier and later), and carry across differences that I wish to
preserve, all without touching the keyboard. So I would like to know
whether there is a way of doing such things in Mercurial without
resorting to the command line.

Larry