[isabelle-dev] Mercurial conversion relaunch

Brian Huffman brianh at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Sep 4 02:43:18 CEST 2008

Quoting Makarius <makarius at sketis.net>:

> Pretty soon we really need to step forward to using Mercurial
> exclusively, or stay with CVS indefinitely.
>
> There are no technical problems to move on.  It is mainly a matter of more
> people getting acquinted with the current state-of-the art in version
> control.  As pointed out before, Mercurial is actually easier to use than
> old CVS/SVN, only the way of thinking needs to be updated a little.

I installed Mercurial today and started playing around with it.
Currently CVS gives me some trouble because I am often working on
different parts of Isabelle concurrently; Mercurial supports this kind
of usage much better than CVS, since it is so easy to clone
repositories and maintain multiple branches. I also like being able to
do diffs and commits off-line.

I see that I can use Mercurial right now for pulling changes from the
repository, but is there any support yet for pushing changes into the
repository? Or must I continue to use CVS for all my commits until we
all completely switch over? Maybe there is a script which makes it
easier to submit patches exported from Mercurial to the CVS server?

- Brian