[isabelle-dev] Problems building Isabelle/Scala

Alexander Krauss krauss at in.tum.de
Fri Apr 5 15:09:57 CEST 2019

Hi Jasmin,

[...]
> After cloning the Isabelle repository (350acd36) and installed the necessary components, I type
>
> 	./bin/isabelle jedit -b -f
>
> as suggested in "README_REPOSITORY" and then it answers
>
> 	### Building Isabelle/Scala
>
> Things remain like this for over 20 minutes, at which point I give up. The CPU generates a lot of heat, though.

I do not really know how the Isabelle/Scala build process works, but
(assuming it is some JVM process that hangs), you could try to connect
to it using jconsole or jvisualvm (part of the JDK), which can then give
you some introspection. Reasons for such behavior could be:

* JVM runs out against some preconfigured (or default) memory limit and
spends all the time garbage collecting. You can see this in the memory
charts...
* Something loops. You can take thread dumps of running threads to see
call stacks of active threads.

Alex