[isabelle-dev] performance problems

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Sep 7 16:01:43 CEST 2018

On 06/09/18 17:14, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> I'm facing serious performance problems with the development version and I have no idea what's happening, though it may be connected with my settings. At the moment I am using
>
> JEDIT_JAVA_OPTIONS64="-Xms2048m -Xmx8192m -Xss8m"
> ML_OPTIONS="--minheap 3500"
>
> (I'm not aware of any guidelines of what sort of settings are appropriate.)

If you are using the 64-bit version of Poly/ML, you should give both
--minheap and --maxheap, otherwise it tends to overcommit a lot of memory.

If you are using the 32-bit version, you should start with a much small
--minheap -- I usually use 1500. The maxheap is implicit by the virtual
memory boundary.

> My theory doesn't use the AFP and I have moved aside my components file, which refers to afp/devel. My theory imports nothing but Complex_Main. Yet still, Isabelle/jEdit takes on the order of a minute to launch, and freezes (with permanent pink markup) within 5 – 20 minutes of launching. My machine has 12 virtual cores and 16 GB of memory. What could I be doing wrong?

What exactly is "my theory"? Is it already in some repository?