[isabelle-dev] HOL build process hangs

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 3 14:04:06 CEST 2018

> On 3 May 2018, at 12:56, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:
>
> On 03/05/18 13:18, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
>> I'm encountering a strange phenomenon: the HOL build process runs for just over two minutes (which is not long enough to complete) and then seems to stop running, using 0.1% of the processor. I can repeat it and the same thing happens again. Today I was lucky on the third attempt. What could cause the build to hang and do nothing?
>
> What is your changeset id?

~/isabelle/Repos/src/HOL: hg id
8dc792d440b9+ tip

> What is the underlying hardware?

Mac Pro (2013), 3.5GHz 6-Core Xeon E5 with 16GB

> What are the build options, e.g. the bottom of the output of "isabelle
> build -?” ?

One was “isabelle jedit <theory>” and the other was this:

~/isabelle/Repos/src/HOL: isabelle build -b HOL
Building HOL ...
^C^C^C*** Interrupt
HOL FAILED
Unfinished session(s): HOL
0:08:42 elapsed time, 0:02:13 cpu time, factor 0.25
^C^C