[isabelle-dev] NEWS: sightly more parallel checking

Fabian Immler immler at in.tum.de
Mon Jun 4 20:17:12 CEST 2018

I have no idea whether this is related, but I noticed some strange behaviour after updating to Isabelle/6989752bba4b (from some version about one or two weeks ago):

Sometimes, during interactive proof development, the poly process appears to be doing something in the background even when (as far as I can tell) it should be idle. This makes the IDE less responsive.

This "something in the background" appears to happen on a regular basis:
every 2-3 seconds, the poly process consumes 200%CPU for about a second.
poly should be idle (or used to be in such a situation) because (as far as I can tell) nothing else (e.g., sledgehammer, find theorems) seems to be active.

The only way to stop this apparently is to invalidate something in the beginning of the (currently open) theory.

Also the Monitor panel looks like something is going on in the background (see the attached screenshots).
Reprocessing the whole theory (by invalidating something in the beginning) makes the behaviour disappear.

Any ideas what might be going on there? Does anyone else experience this behavior?
How I could debug this when I encounter it the next time, e.g., how to figure out what poly (or perhaps also PIDE) is doing or is trying to do in the background?

I am not sure how to reproduce this, but it happens every hour or so during interactive proof development (i.e., many edits in the document model, nonterminating proof methods behind the current edit).

Fabian