[isabelle-dev] Fwd: [isabelle] Matrix-Vector operation

Fabian Immler immler at in.tum.de
Mon Feb 26 15:57:23 CET 2018

> Am 26.02.2018 um 12:54 schrieb Lawrence Paulson <lp15 at cam.ac.uk>:
>
> Is there a case for moving some material from this file into the Analysis directory?
>
> https://www.isa-afp.org/browser_info/current/AFP/Perron_Frobenius/HMA_Connect.html
>
> Many of the results proved at the end of this file are quite straightforward anyway. As somebody with a lifting-and-transfer phobia, I don't feel qualified to make this decision. Possibly these techniques are overkill. I have already proved some of these results quite straightforwardly using linearity, and installed them not long ago.
For the record, "not long ago" is c8caefb20564. I generalized this to the same class constraints as in HMA_Connect in d97a28a006f9.

Yes, I guess these techniques are overkill for the (straightforward) proofs of
matrix_add_vect_distrib,
matrix_vector_right_distrib,
matrix_vector_right_distrib_diff,
matrix_diff_vect_distrib
(they are exactly the lemmas touched by d97a28a006f9). I left them in HMA_Connect.thy as examples for the transfer_hma method.

The remaining lemmas at the end of HMA_Connect are probably not so easy to move to the distribution: they involve concepts that are missing in HOL-Analysis, e.g., eigen_value, charpoly, or similar_matrix.

We do have the problem that AFP/Jordan_Normal_Form/Matrix and Analysis/Finite_Cartesian_Product both formalize vectors and matrices and that there are formalizations of (aspects of) linear algebra for both of them. Last year in Logrono, there was the proposal to put all linear algebra on the common foundation of a locale for modules, but apparently nobody has found the time and motivation to push this much further.

Perhaps a more humble first step towards unifying the existing theories would be to move AFP/Jordan_Normal_Form/Matrix to the distribution and do the construction of Finite_Cartesian_Product.vec as a subtype of Matrix.vec.

Any opinions on that?

Fabian