[isabelle-dev] Fwd: [Isabelle-ci] Build failure in AFP

Manuel Eberl eberlm at in.tum.de
Fri Aug 31 15:06:18 CEST 2018

Update: I pushed another changeset and now everything is green again (if
you excuse the pun).

I tracked the problem to a diverging invocation of "blast":
https://bitbucket.org/isa-afp/afp-devel/src/e15414dceb2836d07d50546ee94ff8083fbcc80d/thys/Green/Derivs.thy?at=default&fileviewer=file-view-default#Derivs.thy-165

However, this "blast" does not diverge on any of my machines, no matter
if single-threaded or multi-threaded, no matter if "isabelle build" or
Isabelle/jEdit. It actually terminates almost instantaneously.

It does, however, seem to diverge reliably on the Testboard, on the
workermtahpc, and on isabelle-server. I found this "blast" invocation by
running "isabelle jedit" on isabelle-server via XForwarding, and there
it was continuously purple and remained purple forever.

I have no idea why it does that; the proof in question is actually very
simple. It does use "continuous_intros" and my changeset does introduce
a few new "continuous_intros" rules and also some "intro" rules, but
none of them match the goal here at all, so I cannot see how that would
influence anything. And I am certainly stumped as to how this kind of
non-deterministic behaviour could come about.

Manuel