[isabelle-dev] [158c513a39f5] JVM crash

Lars Hupel hupel at in.tum.de
Sun Aug 20 11:24:07 CEST 2017

> Lars, maybe you can run the same test on your machine and see what
> happens there.

I did, and nothing happened for about 100 iterations. I have a Core
i7-2600. OS is otherwise identical to Manuel (Arch Linux).

> As for Scala, could a problem in the Scala compiler really lead to the
> JVM segfaulting? I would have thought if the JVM segfaults, that's a bug
> in the JVM. (unless it's a hardware-related issue, of course)

I've seen it happening, but it is very rare. Still, the coincidence of
crashes during compilation could be explained by random chance (even if
very unlikely). A quick look over Scala's issue tracker reveals no
documented JVM segfaults after 2011.

Cheers
Lars