[isabelle-dev] [158c513a39f5] JVM crash

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Aug 19 21:27:24 CEST 2017

On 19/08/17 21:14, Manuel Eberl wrote:

> As for Scala, could a problem in the Scala compiler really lead to the
> JVM segfaulting? I would have thought if the JVM segfaults, that's a bug
> in the JVM. (unless it's a hardware-related issue, of course)
>
> So, all in all, my money would be on the JVM.

The JVM is indeed the weakest link in the chain, but I've seen
situations in the past where the Scala compiler has triggered a JVM
problem by producing certain byte code: the problem disappeared again
after another update of Scala.

I propose to try the previous Scala release locally, e.g. as follows in
$ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings:

  init_component "$HOME/.isabelle/contrib/scala-2.12.2"

If that crashes again, we can be quite sure that it is jdk-8u144.