[isabelle-dev] Jenkins maintenance

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat Oct 1 20:39:32 CEST 2016

On 01/10/16 19:05, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> The story behind is actually more delicate
>
> The following insights contributed to abandon the project:
>
> 2) Further, »keep it simple, stupid« came to its limits with all the
> involved technicalities: issues jobs on remote machines, exception
> handling, proper daemonizing – it is surely easy to extend that list.
> The Jenkins universe, as fas as I can tell, embodies significant
> expertise in that area which you don't want to reimplement.

Using huge and complex things like Jenkins poses the usual questions:

  * How much efforts are required to make proper use of it? I.e. what is
the "payload" of it as a "carrier system" for an actual application.

  * Which policies and attitudes of the platform are forced on the
application? How easy (or difficult) is it to reshape it for our the
requirements.

So far, my impression is that Jenkins fares not too well in these
respects. What does it really deliver, for all the efforts?

And where are the public sources of Isabelle/Jenkins?