[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] Disk usage in ~/.isabelle/contrib

Matthew Fernandez matthew.fernandez at nicta.com.au
Sat Feb 13 00:43:13 CET 2016

On 13/02/16 01:41, Makarius wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Feb 2016, Matthew Fernandez wrote:
>
>> A patch (not against the current tip) that pulls from a local mirror in preference to fetching remotely is as follows.
>> This may also be useful for other Isabelle devs looking to pull from a local mirror in preference to always hitting TUM.
>
> It is unclear to me what is the problem here. The settings variable ISABELLE_COMPONENT_REPOSITORY points to
> http://isabelle.in.tum.de/components by default, but that may be changed in $ISABELLE_HOME_USER/etc/settings in the
> usual way.

There is no problem. The motivation for this tweak (or spice as it seems to now be called on this mailing list) was that
it was simple for us to mirror the components on an internal machine that all users had SSH access to. The machine in
question doesn't run a web server, so retrieving components via rsync was simpler than going through the necessary
channels to get approval to modify the server's daemons. As far as I'm aware, the server's directory is periodically
updated from the TUM directory via wget/curl, so no magic required there. Perhaps, for most people, straightforward
mirroring of the TUM site is preferable, in which case I hope my post has not caused confusion or distraction.