[isabelle-dev] Some thoughts on mixfix syntax partially applied [was: NEWS]

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Oct 6 14:12:10 CEST 2015

On Tue, 22 Sep 2015, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

> The "op" noation is idiosyncratic, but there are examples (not in
> individual formulae) where I find some such notation convenient. I would
> welcome Haskell's "(+)", but that has a problem with "(*)". Unless we
> can make that notation work, I don't think we profit much by a change.
> Hence I am inclined to leave things as they are.

"(*)" does not work, because it is in conflict with "(* comment *)" in
inner syntax.  I have recently encountered a situation where it would have
been better to replace inner comments by "-- ‹comment›", as known in outer
syntax, but the double-minus was in conflict with some infix operators.
introduced Isabelle symbol for the mdash.

So many clouds of dust, caused by trying to clean up obscure corners ...

At the moment I am also inclined to leave things unchanged.