[isabelle-dev] Fonts in etc/symbols with space in the name (incl. workaround for Isabelle-2015), patch thoughts

Rafal Kolanski xs at xaph.net
Fri Oct 2 17:48:23 CEST 2015

On 03/10/15 00:35, Makarius wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2015, Rafal Kolanski wrote:
>
>>> The patched jedit code base will be updated again for the coming
>>> release of 5.3.0, which should appear *really*soon*now*.  It will be
>>> the first jEdit release with proper 4K display support!
>>
>> Well, I hope they have time take a peek at some of the patches sitting
>> in the queue before then...
>
> Right now I hope the jEdit guys will finally release the "Spring 2015"
> version before the winter comes on the northern hemisphere.
>
> jEdit 5.3.0 was planned to appear early June 2015.  This summer I added
> various things on top of the repository version, expecting it to be
> post-release material, but they actually started picking it up after a
> few weeks and added most of it to the release branch.  This caused
> further delays.
>
> My priority at the moment is to see a release of jEdit, before we enter
> the critical release phase for Isabelle2016 -- presumably at the start
> of the Winter season here in the north.

My patches to jEdit are pretty simple, but I understand if they only
have a chance to be looked at after the release.

> Once it is there, I will update the jedit_build component accordingly.
> Then we have a brief window of opportunity to add some small patches on
> top of the standard jEdit code base as part of the Isabelle distribution.

Well, if you're already warning me that the window will be very small if
and when it happens, then I would like to endeavor to make it count.

Please consider that while you might not be able to take the patch now,
you can use my time between now and then to make improvements.

If you find yourself with some spare cycles, perhaps you can do a Linus
and take a look at my patch to Isabelle's font rendering to see if you
like at all as a concept (there's a nice simplification to the rendering
code in there in addition to the font substitution). If so, I can do
extra work to make it more palatable to you / the Isabelle code base. If
you don't like it, fair enough, and I'll just maintain a branch locally
for my colleagues to use.

In particular, since my patch allows us to have multiple levels of
sub/superscript (yes, only two, but still), perhaps you would like to
see that in action before we put it in? Or some other way I can assist?

Sincerely,

Rafal Kolanski