[isabelle-dev] find_theorems and type class axioms

Johannes Hölzl hoelzl at in.tum.de
Thu Nov 26 15:41:02 CET 2015

Ah, after I read Gerwin's email, I thought it was really a problem with
find_theorems. But now you reminded me that it was the setup of
dist_norm.

As far as I remember the reason is that you want to have the syntactic
type classes when you instantiate a type to have dist and norm. But
later when you prove you always want to have metric_space or
real_normed_vector.

Why is the instantiation easier? You only need to define dist as
dist_norm governs, and otherwise you do not show anything about dist.
You only proof real_normed_vector axioms for norm, and then you know
that metric_space is a subclass of real_normed_vector.

The other options I can think of are:

  1) you have special type classes like:
     * toplogical_metric_space (open is defined with dist)
     * metric_real_normed_vector (dist_norm holds)

  2) you repeat always the proof that your dist defined with norm is
     actually a metric space...

A solution for the dist_norm (and also open_dist) problem would be to
just add a theorem:

lemma dist_norm:
  fixes x y :: "'a :: real_normed_vector"
  shows "dist x y = norm (x - y)" by (rule dist_norm)

(and of course rename the original one to something like
dist_norm_syntactical) Then at least that one gets found...

 - Johannes