[isabelle-dev] find_theorems and type class axioms

Andreas Lochbihler andreas.lochbihler at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Nov 26 15:07:59 CET 2015

Hi Larry,

Type inferences assigns to "dist" the type "'a => 'a => real" where 'a :: metric_space,
and to "norm" the type "'b => real" where 'b :: real_normed_vector (due to the type
constraint manipulations in Real_Vector_Spaces.thy. The theorem dist_norm uses dist and
norm with the sort dist_norm. Consequently, it can find this theorem only if metric_space
and real_normed_vector are both subclasses of dist_norm, but they are not. Thus, it is not
found.

In your concrete application, you can nevertheless apply the theorem dist_norm, because
you have a concrete type (e.g. real) which instantiates both real_normed_vector and
metric_space.

As Florian said, the problem here is really the manipulation of the type for dist and
norm. Maybe Johannes can remember why Brian introduced this.

Best,
Andreas