[isabelle-dev] NEWS: State panel

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Tue Nov 10 14:52:15 CET 2015

On 10/11/2015 14:20, Gerwin Klein wrote:

>> On 9 Nov 2015, at 9:41 pm, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:
>>
>> * The State panel manages explicit proof state output, with jEdit action
>> "isabelle.update-state" (shortcut S+ENTER) to trigger update according
>> to cursor position.
>>
>> * The Output panel no longer shows proof state output by default. This
>> reduces resource requirements of prover time and GUI space.
>> INCOMPATIBILITY, use the State panel instead or enable option
>> "editor_output_state".
>>

>> This refers to Isabelle/bb20f11dd842.  The State panel has been around for a while, without mentioning it explicitly.  It should now be sufficiently consolidated for production use; even old GUI timing problems that caused excessive flashing due to repaints should no longer happen.
>
> The separation looks like a good idea, but triggering state panel updates only on request doesn’t seem to mesh with how I use the interface these days. I’ve become very accustomed to the ability to immediately see the proof state by just navigating to the relevant command. It’s one of the things I really like about Isabelle/jEdit.

I couldn't agree more, and others I spoke to confirm this. Thus it is
unfortunate that this mode of working now requires an explicit flag that novices
won't know about, apparently motivated by resource considerations. It would be
better if people who run into resource problems (novices typically don't) can
set a flag to disable the state being shown.

Tobias