[isabelle-dev] Remaining uses of defer_recdef?

Amine Chaieb amine at chaieb.org
Sun Jun 7 07:18:26 CEST 2015

I remember trying to convert Cooper's as well as other Decision proc's
recdefs to fun, also with the help of Alex but gave up at some point.

I think the killer at the time was rather the induction principle and
not the simp rules. The one derived by recdef really fits the definition
and "spirit" of development. Also runtime at the time was not
acceptable. I also remember havin the runtime problem with fun vs.
primrec (so we left those there too).

   Context: Deep embedding of datatype + normal form on this data type +
set of recursive functions on syntax preserving normal form. The normal
Form has conditions on nested patterns --> introduce new constructor for
these common nested patterns in normal form.

We had combinatorial explosion due to the depth of the patterns (which
is the main reason to introduce special constructors in the datatype, to
reduce deep patterns).

The induction priciples with recdef really fitted, i.e. induct auto with
spice did the job for lemmas you do not expect to spend time thinking as
a software developer.

One could argue that one should introduce a new data type for normalized
syntactic elements and perform such computations as needed. I dismissed
this idea and did not explore it, since it comes with a high price.
Perhaps there are better ways to do the formalization.

Amine.