[isabelle-dev] NEWS: New (co)datatype package is now in Main

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jan 23 13:55:55 CET 2014

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014, Jasmin Blanchette wrote:

> I would like to mention the central role played by Isabelle/jEdit for
> refactoring the theories, in particular reorganizing the theory imports.
> The "Theories" and "Sidekick" pannels were simply invaluable.

At some point I would like to see the theory graph directly in "Theories"
or a variant of "Sidekick".  The front-end know the structure, without
asking the prover.

Isabelle/Graphview is still lying around in an usuable state, and merely
consuming Isabelle/Scala build time.  After 2 years of work on that
student project, it turned out to lack an important phase of the layout
algorithmn.  Since then the situation is fluctuating between myself trying
to finish it, trying to find a smart guy to do it, or trying to convince
Stefan Berghofer to learn some Scala and port his old stuff by himself.

In 1996, Stefan implemented state-of-the art DAG layout in Java 1.1 from
scratch within a few weeks, but such things seem to take forever these
days.  I am getting depressed each time I see applications that invoke the
"dot" (aka "graphviz") tools via external command-line, with layout
algorithms unchanged since 1995.