[isabelle-dev] blast warnings

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jan 8 00:32:15 CET 2014

On Tue, 31 Dec 2013, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> (1) Do we need a general way to prevent warnings from breaking
> interfaces? That would be great, if possible, and maybe just requires
> inserting some sort of pause between messages to allow their
> interruption, or some way to count messages and stop them after a limit
> is exceeded.

Already since 2001 we have the Output.tracing channel, which is intended
for potentially unbounded and usually less interesting high-volume output,
with some special treatment in the front-end. That was originally done for
Proof General.

The current Isabelle/jEdit implementation of that stops emitting tracing
messages after the limit given by system option editor_tracing_messages is
exceeded (for each command transaction separately).  Afterwards it waits
for the user clicking on the output to stop or continue.  This is a bit
awkward, but avoids bombing the front-end.  Although sometimes surprises
remain about executions that should continue, but actually wait.

I have now modernized blast.ML a bit, to warp it from 1997 into 2001 in
that respect.  See also Isabelle/ed36358c20d5.

You can try it like this:

   setup {* Config.put_global Blast.trace true *}

   lemma "(⋀P. P::bool) ⟹ PROP P" by blast

With Blast.trace = false, that example loops without emitting anything,
just some ambient heating via CPU power.  Bombing no longer happens in
that version.  I have also made one separate warning subject to context
visibility, which is quite common these days.

So for my part, the issue is resolved.  You should nonetheless take a look
if it is possible to get the treatment of Trueprop vs. non-Trueprop right.
If the left-over development tool of Blast.trace is of any use, it should
point out the situation.  (In general, cumulative maintenance costs over
the years are greatly reduced by removing built-in tracing once things are
properly implemented.  Such add-ons greatly complicate the code and are
hard to get right in the first place.)