[isabelle-dev] html output of theories

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Apr 16 15:00:50 CEST 2014

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> (3) This is what we all use every day, right? So this should be most
> sophisticated (and already is, I think). Presentation wise the only
> negative point I can think of, is that ugly LaTeX code is mostly
> unreadable in the theory-file, while I need it sometimes for (1). In
> that respect it would be wonderful if either Isabelle/jEdit would
> magically present the result of TeXing or support nicely rendered syntax
> for formatting

Proper integration of the latex document preparation process into the
Prover IDE has indeed a high priority in the pipeline.  I have started to
revisit it mentally shortly after the release in December 2013.  It
remains to be seen if I manage to do something in the coming weeks.  (In
June I will be mostly on vacation, and afterwards we have to converge
towards the Isabelle2014 release.)

The spell-checker is already part of the document preparation improvement
effort.

> I think there is no way around LaTeX when it comes to rendering
> formulas. Maybe there is. Do you know MathML?

MathML is one of these "future technologies" that retain that status for
decades, without ever getting there.  I remember that it was advertized as
the next big thing for Math on the Web shortly after HTML and Mosaic /
Netscape 1.x became popular in 1991 or 1992.

I am occasionally involved in the CICM/MKM conference, where MathML is one
traditional topic.  Just 1-2 years ago someone of the insiders pointed out
that the half-baked support for MathML in major browser engines (Mozilla
or Webkit) was about to be *diminished* or *removed* because nobody is
there to pursue this seriously.