[isabelle-dev] Preferences on Mac OS X

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Sep 25 11:41:45 CEST 2013

On Wed, 25 Sep 2013, Andrew Boyton wrote:

> The fact that Isabelle/jEdit doesn't obey the standard OS X keybindings
> is frustrating but sadly typical for a Java application. For a Mac
> application I expect Command+, to bring up the preferences, but I also
> expect the preferences to be in the menu "jEdit -> Preferences", like
> every other Mac application. I do accept though that Java applications
> are rarely good citizens on any platform, and so am not surprised.

There is a long story behind Mac OS X + Java not working quite as well as
on other platforms, and many parties are to blame for it: Sun, Apple,
Oracle, as well as the average Mac user who is not very active in
supporting open source projects to get it really right.

I have myself started to use Mac OS X part-time in 2008 to make up for
this.  Right now I have initiated some activity on the jEdit Sourceforge
project to get things into shape for Java 7.

To make jEdit a really good citizen on Mac OS X, the inhabitants of that
platform need to do something.  Neither Apple nor Oracle have the
resources to make it just work out of the box.