[isabelle-dev] NEWS: Dockable window "Find"

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Sep 18 21:09:34 CEST 2013

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Makarius wrote:

> Doing some web search myself some months ago, I've found the WrapLayout
> of http://tips4java.wordpress.com/2008/11/06/wrap-layout/ but that is
> already quite old.

I have followed this link now, the result is in Isabelle/8ce7795256e1 and
Isabelle/bb15972a644d -- it even works within a ScrollPane, although it
requires strange LISP-like JVM programming to detect that.  (The
Sun/Oracle guys do that quite often internally, when nobody is looking.)

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013, Holger Gast wrote:

> FlowLayouts invariably compute their preferred size
> in one line. However, when later they are asked to
> layout the children of their container, they break
> them into lines and thus use up more vertical space
> than advertised originally. As a result, components
> in the later lines may be partly obscured when
> re-sizing windows.
>
> This behavior is, unfortunately, inherent in the
> Swing/AWT layout mechanism, which proceeds once bottom-up
> to compute the preferred sizes, and then once top-down to
> decide on the sizes of the components. There is no way
> of computing the preferred size using some form of
> "size hint" propagated in the top-down phase
> (unlike in the SWT framework).

>From that explanation, the WrapLayout from above should not work, despite
relatively enthusiastic answers on that blog spot.

It seems that Swing does its own dynamic rearrangements already.

This can be tried out with the "Symbols" dockable and its result box of
"Search", maybe after increasing option "jedit_symbols_search_limit" via
Plugin Options.

On Linux / Nimbus its takes some time to converge, depending on the number
of results.  I think it was faster on Mac OS X this afternoon, or that
machine was just faster.