[isabelle-dev] Problems with Fedora

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Oct 2 12:08:36 CEST 2013

On Tue, 1 Oct 2013, Christian Sternagel wrote:

> In principle that sounds good. I am only unsure what the implications of
> setting XMODIFIERS to "" are. (What I noticed on the spot was that with
> the above setting, when switching to Japanese (Anthy) with input mode
> "Hiragana" -- which should result in special Japanese Glyphs -- just
> plain ASCII was rendered; however, since those glyphs are only rendered
> as "black boxes" in Isabelle/jEdit with the default setting, this might
> not be a great loss).

Do you actually have special settings on Fedora for your Japanese
situation?  Or is this just the default?

I wonder how Ubuntu usually handles such things; it seems to be less
aggressive in trying to be too smart.  Or maybe they just have an ancient
version of the X input methods from Debian that does not suffer from the
more recent problems of iBus (reported by some Japanese guy in 2012).

My general tendency is to deliver factory defaults that avoid serious
problems, but might take away some elite features.

Isabelle/jEdit mainly uses Unicode as poor-man's rendering for
mathematical formulas, not so much for international text.  I did have the
ambition some years ago to support formalizing classic Greek mathematics
in its Arabic original, but gave up rather quickly since too many
prerequisites are just missing, not only fonts.