[isabelle-dev] Software and Pyramids

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon May 13 14:27:29 CEST 2013

On Sat, 27 Apr 2013, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> http://isabelle.in.tum.de/reports/Isabelle/rev/8e0a1d0a41ff
>
> This quotation is not very fair towards the Egyptian pyramids.  It is
> ignorant of contemporary historians' suppositions that »just« a few
> thousand (personally free) workers had been working on a single pyramid,
> does not justice to the logistic challenge of managing such a big
> construction set, and neglects the considerable development and
> improvement of pyramid construction within a few generations.

I did not expect so much common interest in Egyptology.  We can only guess
if Alan Kay did not know more about recent refinements of theories about
actual Pyramid construction, or if he just assumed average or
below-average understanding of that in his comparison to get the point
over to the audience.

The quotation is an attempt to capture some of what Alan Kay is telling
people in recent years.  He is interesting, because he was one of the big
guys of programming language design a long time ago, he even invented the
term "object oriented".  Today he puts that into a more realistic
perspective, and proposes slightly different approaches, notably a
preference of sophisticated domain-specific languages.

E.g. see his talk on "Programming and Scaling" given at the Hasso Plattner
Institute Potsdam some years ago
http://www.tele-task.de/archive/video/flash/14029/