[isabelle-dev] Proper AFP history on the web

Gerwin Klein Gerwin.Klein at nicta.com.au
Sun Jul 14 08:51:42 CEST 2013

On 12.07.2013, at 9:09 PM, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Jul 2013, Gerwin Klein wrote:
>
>> The official URL for browsing is http://sourceforge.net/p/afp/code/ci/default/tree/ as advertised on http://afp.sourceforge.net/download.shtml.
>
> That tree view is what I meant as old-style SVN browser, although it does not do justice to SVN, which actually has a notion of (linear) changeset history that covers all files that are changed.  What sourceforge presents here actually for CVS, where every file has its own isolated RCS history (as ,v) file.
>
> Looking once more at http://sourceforge.net/p/afp/code/ci/default/tree I still cannot see a proper way to get an overview of changes, covering all files that are touched.  The "Browse Commits" view shows again only single files with their history (and the graph is rendered in very low quality).

If you click on "History" you get the history of commits. For instance:

http://sourceforge.net/p/afp/code/ci/74746c992248b90ca5ec04759b1a3f53ae75ba8f/log/

and a single commit:

http://sourceforge.net/p/afp/code/ci/74746c992248b90ca5ec04759b1a3f53ae75ba8f/

(the URLs can be shortened in the usual way)

I agree that the default hg web view is nicer for getting a graph of commits, but it's not the thing you usually want to point to.

>> The official URL for cloning is http://hg.code.sf.net/p/afp/code as advertised on that page (with ssh and SF login if you have one).
>>
>> It doesn't change every few months. It has changed once in 10 years, admittedly with breakage that one time, but it does not look like it's going to be a frequent event.
>
> Until recently I used http://afp.hg.sourceforge.net/hgweb/afp/afp-2013/ for cloning and browsing, but that seems to be abandoned now.

Yes, unfortunately.

> Anyway, I was looking for a practical way to cite AFP changes here on the mailing list.  The (abbreviated) changeset id is in principle sufficient, but often people find it hard to retrieve it from the many clones and branches, and many different web views.  So occasional use of semi-standard URLs helps to get to the point quicker.
>
> For now http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/AFP/ seems to do that, until SF gets into better shape.

I still don't see what's wrong with the URL above. The interface is not that nice for browsing, but it does give you change sets and it does have better diffs.

It's not catastrophic to point to mirrors if you dislike the SF interface that much, but they cost maintenance and will inevitably be out of date at least some of the time.

Gerwin