[isabelle-dev] >>> SCHEDULER: disposed 4 dead worker threads

René Neumann rene.neumann at in.tum.de
Mon Dec 16 17:09:58 CET 2013

Am 16.12.2013 16:52, schrieb Makarius:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2013, Christian Urban wrote:
>
>> My guess is that I notice this message already for at least a year. It
>> is in fact so frequent that I assumed this is normal behaviour of
>> Isabelle.
>
> So just one more thing on the long list of open problems that nobody
> dared to report or cared about.
>
> The big problem of Isabelle2013-1 was a lack of serious testing towards
> a truly stable release, but I misinterpreted the lack of problem reports
> as absence of problems.  Isabelle2013-2 is a bit better, but not really
> there -- right *after* the release I've got again further observations
> about certain oddities that were already there at the start of the RC
> phase 8 weeks ago.

Just a quick idea of mine:

Could it be worthwhile to decouple the releases of the logic from the
releases of the system-/user interaction?

That is, have Isabelle-yyyy-x and Isabelle/Tools-yyyy-x.z with the
invariant that for every z Isabelle-yyyy-x and Isabelle/Tools-yyyy-x.z
work well together.

Then changes like 'missing dialog in Isabelle/jEdit' and 'better
termination of stray processes' are easier to push and are in another
category than 'new datatype system'.

Again: This is just a quick idea, and I have no insight into how
feasible the differentiation is, especially on the very low levels.

- René

--
René Neumann

Institut für Informatik (I7)