[isabelle-dev] >>> SCHEDULER: disposed 4 dead worker threads

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Dec 16 16:52:20 CET 2013

On Sun, 15 Dec 2013, Christian Urban wrote:

> My guess is that I notice this message already for at least a year. It
> is in fact so frequent that I assumed this is normal behaviour of
> Isabelle.

So just one more thing on the long list of open problems that nobody dared
to report or cared about.

The big problem of Isabelle2013-1 was a lack of serious testing towards a
truly stable release, but I misinterpreted the lack of problem reports as
absence of problems.  Isabelle2013-2 is a bit better, but not really there
-- right *after* the release I've got again further observations about
certain oddities that were already there at the start of the RC phase 8
weeks ago.

These are not complaints, just some observations that the Isabelle release
process no longer works realiably.  I am also lacking first-hand
power-users, whom I can watch over the shoulder.

> I just tried it out with tree different theories, with
> Isabelle-2013-1 and also Isabelle-2013-2; in all
> instances I got a message like
>
> > isabelle build -c -v -d . Slides1

My impression over the years: in *rare* situations the basic heap image is
built in a bad way such that the crash of the worker threads happens after

If this incident now happens routinely, I need to look very closely at the
gloabl thread management.  It is not a real problem though, just an
oddity: the future scheduler notices a dirty situation and clears out the
state.