[isabelle-dev] Abbreviations + Monad_Syntax introduce "unit itself" additional type variable

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Thu Dec 5 17:05:20 CET 2013

Reviving this old thread, Peter and me found out what is actually going
on here.

Basically, nothing wrong.  When abbreviations are declared, terms are
checked such that no abbreviations themselves are expanded.  So in the
examples, the do-syntax produces an abbreviation bind_do which in this
case is not unfolded and so does not trigger the adhoc-overloading
disambiguation of bind.  So, there is nothing wrong here.

Even more, given the analogy that ad-hoc overloading represents some
kind of overloaded abbreviations, adhoc-overloading should never be
expanded while abbreviations are checked (query
Proof_Context.abbrev_mode).  @Christian.  You might consider to adjust
your code accordingly after a second round of thinking about.

Cheers,
	Florian