[isabelle-dev] mira disk usage

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Sep 3 14:01:08 CEST 2012

On Sat, 1 Sep 2012, Gerwin Klein wrote:

> Would it be a viable alternative to control image building via an option
> in the ROOT file? That would still allow command line override, and
> could use the standard options interface for defaults etc.

I count the hardwired image or non-image mode as a historical artifact of
the past make system.  It was difficult to determine that on the spot, so
it had to be made persistent.  Over the years this has lead to various
people committing their preferences on Isabelle sessions and imposing
their own image to everybody else.

Now that it is trivial to say "build -b", the hardwired approach is no
longer there to cause any arguments about its state.