[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed May 30 21:50:14 CEST 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> This can be supported by populating Admin/ further, e.g. moving

When going through it for the release, my impulse was to de-populate it,
or rather sort out things more explicitly.  A bit too much "misc admin
stuff" has accumulated there.

When we understand better what is what, and what for, we can hopefully
remove a few things from Admin and clarify a few others like

> e) Admin/contributed_components ~> Admin/etc/components

> Common favorites like
>
>  if [[ -z "$ISABELLE_IDENTIFIER" ]]
>  then
>    ISABELLE_OUTPUT="$ISABELLE_HOME/heaps"
>    ISABELLE_BROWSER_INFO="$ISABELLE_HOME/browser_info"
>  fi
>
> then could go to
>
> f) Admin/etc/settings

I didn't know that this is still a favourite. I've discontinued this
scheme when we stopped using cvs.  Settings give a lot of freedom, but
that should be exercised privately.

> It is good to have a description like
> https://isabelle.in.tum.de/community/Working_with_the_repository_version_of_Isabelle
> (again):
>
> g) The results of this mail thread should go there.

I count this as part of the administrative chaos.  I welcome a genuine
community effort happening there, and hope it will eventually get really
started, but I am myself not participating.  In particular, dependable
admin stuff needs to go to some official place.

Using Mediawiki as some kind of "rationale store" or "issue tracker" is a
bit strange.  If such things should be formalized (and mechanized) one
needs to invest some time to find the proper tools for it, or one of the
many existing hosting platforms for such things.