[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed May 30 21:34:01 CEST 2012

On Wed, 30 May 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

>> a) There is a canonical place at TUM where developers place their
>> components.
>> b) This should then also include jedit_build.
>> c) This place is accessible by HTTP.
>
> A simple script using wget in Admin/ could further lift the burden of
> hand work by automatically downloading all missing components.

This now sounds like a fully managed "component repository" for Isabelle,
even in arbitrary intermediate stages between releases, but we do not even
have a formal process yet for the components that are bundled with
official releases.

I am still used to sort it out individually with people who feel partly or
fully responsible for some of the parts that make up the bundles.  The
result can then be "looted" to be used for repository versions as well,
but that is a partial thing.  My own repository clones are hardly ever run
with more than half of the components of an official release bundle, it is
just too much work to configure that.

Maybe we can first try to get the mira setup formalized, and make it as
plain and simple as possible.  It is local at TUM and a privileged user
isatest:isabelle, which simplifies many things.  We should also try to get
rid of implicit things in the shared file system, such as links that point
to "latest" versions without actual version control.  That was from the
old "contrib" symlink scheme for stable releases, but the stable releases
now have explicit version identifiers for the components (except for
polyml -- the very last special case).