[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue May 29 14:01:43 CEST 2012

On Mon, 28 May 2012, Jasmin Christian Blanchette wrote:

>> A first step would be that the add-on components shipped with the
>> current distribution are also available by NFS.
>
> I'm surprised they were taken out. They used to be there for
> Isabelle2011-1.

I first intended to do the same as for Isabelle2011-1, but then realized
that Isabelle2012 had diverged further from the old "universal" scheme of
add-on packages: more and more components are specific for one of the
platform families (linux, darwin, cygwin), and would have required some
extra fiddling to put them all into one place and activate uniformly.

Moreover, my impression was that the role of the different contrib
directories needs some rethinking anyway, which is what we are doing right
now on this thread. There has always been a bit of chaos here, without
grand-unified structure.  It does not mean we should not try again to get
one.

Taking the current situation as a starting point, one could do the
following:

   * /home/isabelle/contrib contains various add-on components cumulatively
     with explicit version information and without funny symlinks to other
     versions.

   * /home/isabelle/contrib_devel is discontinued, it is superseded by a
     cleaned version of contrib above; right now there is a symlink contrib
     -> contrib_devel anyway.

   * Admin/contributed_components within the repository documents
     semi-formally which components may be included into a certain version.

     The mira experts should be able to say more about the current used of
     that file in the testing framework.

We shall also need to make an effort to keep /home/isabelle/contrib
up-to-date.  There is quite some divergence wrt. Isabelle2011-1 and
Isabelle2012 right now.