[isabelle-dev] Building Isabelle/Scala layer from Repository Version on Windows7 (64 Bit)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue May 29 13:46:18 CEST 2012

On Sun, 27 May 2012, Steffen J. Smolka wrote:

> I'm trying to get the Repository Version of Isabelle to run on Windows7 (64
> Bit).
> When executing
>
>> ./bin/isabelle jedit
>
> in cygwin, I get the following error:
>
>> ### Building Isabelle/Scala layer ...
>> System\main.scala:28: error: object exit is not a member of package System
>>     System.exit(rc)
>>            ^
>> one error found
>> Failed to compile sources
>

> I've installed SUN JDK 1.6u32 (64 Bit) and Scala 2.9.2 final, the
> ISABELLE_JDK_HOME and SCALA_HOME environment variables are set accordingly.
>
> My .isabelle/etc/settings file looks like this:
>
>> init_component "/cygdrive/c/Isabelle2012/contrib/scala-2.9.2"
>> init_component "..../isabelle/jedit_build-20120414"

In principle it should work, but requires the usual manual fiddling to
build things from a repository version of Isabelle.

The above failures to compile look suspiciously like some misunderstanding
about the jdk or scala version being used, or old jars lying around in
Isabelle/lib/classes or Isabelle/src/Tools/jEdit/dist.

The general survival strategy is as follows:

   * Try to avoid "using" repository versions in the first place.  There
     must be good reasons to invest the extra effort that is required to
     follow the Isabelle development process in every step.

   * The "nightly build" from http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/ already
     includes Isabelle/Scala and Isabelle/jEdit prebuilt.

   * If you still have do it yourself from the repository for strong
     reasons, you should imidate the bundling of the latest official
     release as closely as possibly, especially its jdk and scala
     components, see the Isabelle2012/contrib directry.

On Cygwin you should also copy the exec_process-1.0 component from
Isabelle2012, otherwise external ATP processes by sledgehammer will be a
bit unstable.