[isabelle-dev] Tweak Haskell output for future Haskell compatibility.

Christian Sternagel c-sterna at jaist.ac.jp
Fri May 11 10:33:51 CEST 2012

Hi all,

recently I thought about something which is slightly related to giving
sort constraints for datatypes (but also raised a completely unrelated
question). Let me just give my idea:

Currently I am working on a formalization of Kruskal's Tree Theorem (but
I am still far from finished ;)) which shows that when a set A is
well-quasi-ordered (wqo), then the set of finite trees over A is wqo.

Since the strict part of any wqo is well-founded, they can be employed
in termination analysis.

Moreover, every datatype represents (somehow) a set of finite trees.

So if the type parameters of a datatype are restricted to wqo, we have
that values of this datatype are wqo. (I guess, also here, as Tobias
suggested, you can first use an unconstrained datatype and later on add
the constraints by hand; but I was thinking about something like
"deriving" in Haskell, where we automatically obtain an instance.)

Now to the unrelated question this raised (maybe "the transfer guys"
could comment): What would be the best way to prove something about
"finite trees" (like Kruskal's Tree Theorem) and then obtain this result
for other finite trees (like every datatype) "for free".

Before I heard about the transfer machinery I thought of axiomatizing
what it means to be a finite tree in a locale and do the proof inside
this locale (but this seems a bit cumbersome). Is there any chance that
having a proof for, lets say

datatype 'a tree = Empty | Node 'a "'a tree list"

to obtain the same result "for free" for any other datatype (as long as
this proof only depends on the property "being a finite tree").

If this all would work out, maybe wqo could be incorporated (in addition
to the existing measures) into Isabelle's termination checker (at least
something similar to primrec is conceivable, where we check for
tree-embedding of arguments).

As I said, this is just a recent idea (which may contain several flaws).

cheers

chris