[isabelle-dev] jar: command not found

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Mar 26 13:07:45 CEST 2012

On Thu, 22 Mar 2012, Sascha Boehme wrote:

> When the JDK is not given in the PATH variable, the command "isabelle jedit"
> may fail with
>
> ./build-jars: line 189: jar: command not found
>
> This is at least the case for hg id 08c22e8ffe70.
>
> The problem occurs with Cygwin where the JDK is provided as a component in
> the Isabelle bundle and is hence typically not mentioned in the PATH. Proper
> prefixing of invocations of jar with the JDK's path might solve this issue.

See now:

changeset:   47113:b5a5662528fb
tag:         tip
user:        wenzelm
date:        Sat Mar 24 20:24:16 2012 +0100
files:       Admin/java/README Admin/java/etc/settings NEWS etc/settings
lib/Tools/java lib/browser/build src/Pure/System/gui_setup.scala
src/Pure/System/isabelle_system.scala
src/Pure/System/standard_system.scala src/Pure/build-jars
src/Tools/JVM/java_ext_dirs src/Tools/jEdit/lib/Tools/jedit
update for prospective jdk1.7.x component;

In practice, it means that people hooked in the repository version of
Isabelle/Scala and jEdit need to have JAVA_HOME or ISABELLE_JDK_HOME set
explicitly!  I think Mac OS X does that by default, but probably not Linux
nor Windows.

It also means that the next release will have to bundle full JDK on Linux
as well, not just JRE as in Isabelle2011-1.  (I have updated some README
concerning that for jdk1.7.x, although it is not wrapped up as Isabelle
component yet).