[isabelle-dev] Standard component setup (Re: NEWS)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Jan 10 14:41:45 CET 2012

On Sun, 8 Jan 2012, Florian Haftmann wrote:

> d) add-ons not being formal components – at the moment ghc.  I always
> considered re-packing or wrapping this as overkill.

As a rule of thumb, the bundled Isabelle components are the essential
things required for running the system in regular applications, packaged
in a multi-platform way without significant external dependencies (plain
libc/libg++ is fine). Building and maintaining such components also needs
to be reasonably easy.  We have no formal process for that at the moment.

GHC might be not as essential on the one hand, and more complex on the
other hand, so one could ask users to refer to a suitable package provided
by their OS environment.  Linux seems to provide it.  For Mac OS I see it
on MacPorts, but we no longer ask regular users to have that installed.
For Windows/Cygwin Google reveals this page
http://www.haskell.org/ghc/docs/7.2.1/html/users_guide/ghci-cygwin.html
with some further explanations.

(Windows/Cygwin is indeed the most strange GNU Linux system in existance,
but once we get a double-click installer for the whole stack of
JVM/Cygwin/Isabelle/PIDE this might easily become the platform of the
majority of users.)