[isabelle-dev] Standard component setup (Re: NEWS)

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jan 5 10:22:18 CET 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Alexander Krauss wrote:

> - There is no stardard way of actually getting hold of the components.
> The HOWTO recommends reusing the ones from the last release, which is
> usually a good idea. However, some components do not come with the
> release (vampire, yices, jedit_build). Should we simply have a directory
> at TUM which is served via http and where developers can get components?
> Maybe simply serve /home/isabelle/contrib_devel for that (For
> jedit_build this should be unproblematic, but I am not sure about the
> licensing situation for the other stuff.)

I think one could publish ~isabelle/contrib_devel via HTTP, although it
would require some clean up and tuning, say to expand symlinks.  Another
question is how to export the actual directory structure, without
maintaining explicit index.html and tar.gz versions of everything.

The more general question behind this is about an official Isabelle
component repository, like major projects have it (Eclipse, Netbeans etc.
even jEdit).  But this needs substantial extra efforts to maintain.