[isabelle-dev] Feature Request for ISABELLE_BUILD_OPTIONS: Support "isabelle build" Options

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Fri Aug 17 23:26:34 CEST 2012

Am 17/08/2012 21:51, schrieb Christian Urban:

> On Friday, August 17, 2012 at 21:18:35 (+0200), Makarius wrote:
>  > Tjark, you have no business here.
>
> I assume something got here lost in translation.
> Otherwise, we should all make reasonable effort
> to welcome everybody on both, the isabelle-users
> and isabelle-dev lists. After all, we like to have
> plenty of users and plenty of developers for Isabelle;
> not like the GDR, which had a country, but in the end
> had no people. ;o)

Thank you, Christian, spot on.

I had some interesting conversations at the Isabelle workshop in Princeton. The
tone of the isabelle mailing list is perceived as amusingly agressive by
outsiders. I don't find it amusing, I find it aggarvating.

Taking a dig at someone via a ceterum censeo in a signature is not helpful, but
"You have no business here" is downright rude.

Can everybody please watch their language? I may be old fashioned, but saying
"Please do not ... because ..." instead of "You have no business here" makes all
the difference. As my grandmother, god bless her, used to say: "Der Ton macht
die Musik".

Tobias