[isabelle-dev] NEWS: auxiliary contexts

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Apr 16 12:26:17 CEST 2012

On Mon, 16 Apr 2012, Brian Huffman wrote:

> Finally we have a mechanism similar to "Section" in Coq, a more
> lightweight alternative to locales.

This is what Larry Paulson and Florian Kammüller actually started in
1998/1999 and eventually became the fully-featured locale + interpretation
system of today.  The basic contexts are useful independently of that,
especially since they can be nested within themselves and the other
(non-nestable) targets.

The nesting is also where some small problems might still persist, since
the Haftmann-Wenzel sandwich looks now like a Neapolitan wafer.

> I already replaced a one-off locale with this new local context
> (changeset 4d49f3ffe97e)

In that change you also group several "(in c)" into a single "context v
begin ... end".  This generally helps to improve scalability of locale
applications, since context switching is realatively heavy.

At some point I would like to see Isabelle/jEdit in assisting to manage
such context rearrangements.