[isabelle-dev] NEWS: auxiliary contexts

Brian Huffman huffman at in.tum.de
Mon Apr 16 12:14:35 CEST 2012

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Makarius <makarius at sketis.net> wrote:
> * Auxiliary contexts indicate block structure for specifications with
> additional parameters and assumptions.  Such unnamed contexts may be
> nested within other targets, like 'theory', 'locale', 'class',
> 'instantiation' etc.  Results from the local context are generalized
> accordingly and applied to the enclosing target context.

> The most basic application is to factor-out context elements of
> several fixes/assumes/shows theorem statements

This is very nice! Finally we have a mechanism similar to "Section" in
Coq, a more lightweight alternative to locales. I already replaced a
one-off locale with this new local context (changeset 4d49f3ffe97e),
and I expect I'll come across a few more places where I can make
similar changes.

> Any other local theory specification element works within the "context
> ... begin ... end" block as well.

Another good use case is recursive functions with many parameters that
don't change in recursive calls. For example, here's a recursion
combinator for binary integers: